Sunday, March 1, 2009

Joy's soul lies in the doing.

Things won are done; joy's soul lies in the doing ~ William Shakespeare

I don't know if I am like most seasoned knitters, but I like to have at least two types of knitting projects available to me at all times. One, a mindless pattern that can be done at cheering at my son's basketball game or a more elaborate pattern that requires moments of silence as I k1, yo, k2 tog, pssk, (p4, k1) 3 times - my fellow knitters know what I mean.

My latest project is knitted in a lacy pattern from a mohair blend yarn. Unfortunately, there appears to be a slight glitch in the pattern so I have had to adjust it a bit, which has added a bit more spice to the project than I was looking for.

What might have made this go smoother was using metal needles, instead of bamboo. I love bamboo but it just isn't slick enough to keep the fibers from occasionally splitting while knitting. Since this is just a trial run and the project will be done in a better yarn later, I will forgo the purchase of the perfect needle until I find the perfect yarn and color.

So back to Shakespeare and the title of this post - I don't have a clue what will become of this project but working out the glitches is like exercise for the mind - brain crunches, firing of the neurons, and a sense of accomplishment. After it is completed, it will most likely be enjoyed by someone, hopefully my daughter, but my pleasure will have been in the "doing" more than the "done".



So on I knit, celebrating each row as I stitch my way to completion of this lacy creation.