Friday, March 13, 2009

So, what is it?

In an earlier post here, and on our family blog, I introduced a lacy project that I am working on. It is turning out to be just as I labeled it, a exercise of "self" encouragement. In all my excitement of getting it photographed and posted, I failed to mention what the heck the project was. Looking back at the photo I can see that it isn't very obvious to the viewer. Toiling over it as I have, it seems obvious to me what it actually is, but not so apparent to others.

Drum Roll Please . . . . . . . . . This lacy creation is a scarf, but not just an ordinary scarf, it can be worn as a stole over the shoulders, a neck gaiter, or of course as a regular scarf.

Perhaps the dramatic introduction was a bit disappointing, after all - it is just a scarf. Admittedly, not MONUMENTALLY awe inspiring, but definitely a beautiful project that is fun to work on - - - - in between the frustrations of working through a couple of glitches.

This brings me introduce a book I came across and want to tell you about.

Last month, while shopping at SAM'S Club, I found myself checking out the all the new books being displayed. I quickly noticed a knitting book I hadn't seen before and upon opening it, was taken by more than one project that the book had to offer. I was looking for something new to knit that had more to it than a mindless pattern. This book was the ticket to solving my thirst for adventure, (okay, the patterns aren't that difficult, but they beat the seed stitch cloths I have been making lately)

So one week later, I have the book, the right yarn, circular needles, and no time to start a new project, but take the time anyway. Making do with bamboo needles, not the perfect choice for this yarn, I finally was on my way to making this beautiful scarf a reality.

The book I am introducing is titled KNITTING CLASSIC STYLE, written by Veronik Avery. The beautiful photography was done by Sara Cameron. What makes this book fun, besides all the great ideas, are the descriptions of what was behind the designing of each of the patterns. There are thirty-five different designs to create from this book and each one has come from an inspiration of fashion's past. The author explains a bit of history behind the fashion that inspired the pattern that is being introduced.

The scarf I am knitting is called Mohair Portrait Scarf and I wish I had a photo to post to show how beautifully it can be worn, besides just the traditional "wrap around the neck scarf". Perhaps when it has been completed, I can get a picture of someone modeling it - this would be the only way to fully appreciate the pleats, and "gentle undulations" it creates when worn flat over the shoulders as a stole. It is knitted on circular needles, in a tube. The increases and decreases, as well as all the lace pattern make this interesting to the eye of all admirers.

The author and crafter of this book describes the inspiration of this scarf as coming from 16th and 17th century Europe. To imagine it in more recent and familiar times, the author refers to what Gwyneth Paltrow wore in a scene of Shakespeare in Love, filmed in 1998.

The scarf was moving along nicely until the cable broke on my circular needle. Thankfully, I was able to secure all the stitches on another needle, before disaster struck. Everything is on hold until I can get replacement needles, of the required length, that will bring back the enjoyment of knitting this project.

Mohair Portrait Scarf
(more than 1/3 complete)